Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Memoirs of a Pregnant Woman

10 Things I Thought I Knew About Pregnancy:
  1. You throw up in the morning and then feel great all day during the first trimester
  2. 9 months means 9 months... NOT 10 months or 40 weeks, which is actually already started by the time you actually get pregnant... very confusing!
  3. If you don't watch it, you'll gain 100 lbs during pregnancy and never lose it
  4. After 3 months, you start to look pregnant in this really cute belly is obviously a baby & not fat kind of way.
  5. Everyone will be really happy for you and give you ridiculous tshirts that say "Hot Mama"
  6. You have to read "What to expect when you're expecting" b/c that's the pregnancy bible.
  7. Women who are moms change from their original selves into this loving mom mushy monster who doesn't think about anything but laundry and age appropriate topics for their child.
  8. You and your baby are what you eat so I will only eat good, healthy things while I am pregnant.
  9. The hardest part about being pregnant is giving up partying with your friends.
  10. Whenever you talk to a pregnant woman, you should ask her how she's feeling because that's just what you're supposed to do.

And now....

10 Things I've Learned About Pregnancy:

  1. Morning Sickness for me was never predictable and some days I felt like crap all day. However, somedays I felt great.
  2. Pregnancy is all about the weeks. Sometimes I have to think about it to even know what month I'm in. People who've been pregnant understand weeks... others understand months.
  3. I've still only gained 2 pounds despite my horrible diet, however I know weight gain is coming in the second half of the pregnancy... but there's no way I'll gain 100lbs.
  4. I could still easily be mistaken for a fat chick. Dan likes to play the "She's rockin the beer gut" song for me. Yep, that's pretty much what it looks like unless I purposely wear tighter maternity clothes that show my belly more prominently.
  5. Most are happy... happy to give you unsolicited advice and opinions that is. Seriously though, most people are happy but some aren't. That's ok. I'm happy enough for everyone.
  6. The sheer size of "what to expect..." is way too intimidating and it has not found its way home from the book store yet. I'd rather read the gossip pages online.
  7. I don't feel any different other than the fact that I'll get to impart all my wonderful thoughts onto another little one. If anything, I think motherhood will make me smarter and more insightful. I don't feel mushy... but maybe that's to come.
  8. I eat what sounds good. If that's healthy stuff, great! Usually its not.
  9. The hardest part about being pregnant is having your friends say or feel that you used to be more fun when you drank. Ouch.
  10. Everyone asks me how I am feeling and I almost want to ask them "do you really want to know?" because what if I feel crappy? Who wants to know about that stuff? So I always oblige in saying something along the "pretty good" lines. I just appreciate that they ask. It means they care and that is wonderful.

So as you can see, being pregnant isn't exactly what I expected... and really it's just is a new reality. Sure, it's wonderful and a miracle and all that... but for me, when I get up in the morning, it's a new part of my world. It's like getting your hair dyed a different color. People who see you often, notice it the first time and then become used to it. People who see you less often may not get used to it but for you, its your reality. Often people say that the length of gestation is meant to give you time to mentally prepare for the arrival. I think that is very true. Obviously, I'm still preparing.

No comments: